When you do not know the language, it becomes a challenge to ensure Quality. One of the better ways is to appoint a translation service provider after checking the process they follow, quality certification and client kudos
The Job Process that ensures Quality
- Selection of an appropriate Translator: Instead of choosing a translator who is cheaper, it is better to choose one who is the best fit for the job. The chosen translator should have command over the target language and excellent proficiency of the source language. Apart from this, he or she should have proven track record. That’s why professional translation service provider always relies on native translators who are not only certified but also have a proven track record. In fact, many agencies have resource managers whose job is to keep updating their database of translators. They invite them for empanelment and negotiate with them for contract rate.
- Project coordination: Quality of translation just goes up a few notches higher, just because the project coordinator is able to guide the translator with glossaries, client mandatories, and references. It is important to get details of Project Management team and satisfy their ability to deliver high-quality translation within the stipulated deadline.
- Use of CAT (Computer Aided Translation) tools: Leveraging technology helps in minimizing errors, maintain consistency of terms used, the speed of delivery. The most commonly used CAT tool is Trados. It is better to check and satisfy on the translation technology usage. The glossaries and mandatories as well translated matter can be kept in the translation memory bank which could be used for repeat jobs and thus reduce the cost of translation.
- The Internal review by an Editor: It is better to check if the translation service provider has an in-house editor and if so what language. It is an ideal situation if the editor is a linguist with experience in translation. An editor does value addition by bringing out linguistic errors and localization issues.
- Proof-reading: Proofreading is always done by the translator before sending the translated matter. As this is only a self-check, errors can go unnoticed. Depending on the product, target specification and culture of the market, outside proofreaders are deployed.
- Formatting: If there are layout issues and the source files available in DTP software, the Project Manager will always add the cost of formatting for such file. Once the translator sends the translated text, it is imported and formatted in the required DTP software.
- Final Review: Before sending the translated file to the client, a final review is done and approval from translator is received. Any suggestion from the client is taken into consideration for revision.
The Quality certification
It is better to check the quality certification the translation service provider has. This will ensure that professional quality management system is followed and internal quality controls are well in place. Bhasha Bharati Arts is :
India’s first translation service provider with a network of native translators
India’s first company to get ISO certification
India’s first company to move from manual to digital artwork